This exercise is based on Family size (topic 13) in the IELTS Topics eBook.
The book helps you learn collocations that can be used across a range of writing and speaking topics – the collocations are not limited to the subject being discussed.
It is not enough to know the language – you must be able to use it naturally.
Complete the sentences below with collocations from the text. Often you are given the first letter(s) to help you.
The exercise should be easy – if it is not then you need to review the topic.
- It is likely that several d_____ c_____ will join the fully industrialised world within the next 20 years.
- John has never been interested in technology, so he can never be seen with the l____ ga_____. In fact, I don’t think he has even got a mobile telephone!
- Large s____ im_____ can put a strain on local services, and this sometimes causes resentment from the indigenous population.
- Although countries develop in different ways, the o____ pa_____ is very similar: there is mass production stage that depends on cheap labour before the country moves up the technology ladder.
- I have a m_____ p_____. Anne is sick, and she is due to give an important presentation today.
- Although it has rained today, the amount of rain that we have had this year is far below the rep____ l____ that is needed if we are to maintain our reserves.
- I was very lucky. My family always said that I was completel f____ to c_____ my career, and I did not have to join the family business.