This exercise is based on Nuclear power – good or bad? (topic 10) in the IELTS Topics eBook.
The book helps you learn collocations that can be used across a range of writing and speaking topics – the collocations are not limited to the subject being discussed.
It is not enough to know the language – you must be able to use it naturally.
Complete the sentences below with collocations from the text. Sometimes you are given the first letter(s) to help you.
The exercise should be easy – if it is not then you need to review the topic.
- Many people have used water as though it was v_____ u_____ but we are having to change our view as a result of greater environmental awareness.
- Early computers were very slow, but since then the processor speeds have i_____ d_____.
- I have no plans to travel abroad in the f_____ ______.
- Thanks vert much for the present – it was a_____ f_____.
- The world’s r_____ _____ ever increasing consumer demand is likely, eventually, to lead to a crisis.
- I hate my job, but at the moment a cannot think of any r______ a_____.
- One of the problems that Japan has had to overcome is that it doesn’t have natural resources in any s_____ q_____ .