This exercise is based on Immigration (topic 9) in the IELTS Topics eBook.
The book helps you learn collocations that can be used across a range of writing and speaking topics – the collocations are not limited to the subject being discussed.
It is not enough to know the language – you must be able to use it naturally.
Complete the sentences below with collocations from the text. Sometimes you are given the first letter(s) to help you.
The exercise should be easy – if it is not then you need to review the topic.
- When I was young I was h_____ am_____, and wanted to reach the top of my profession.
- Bill Clinton is a p_____ e_____ of the way a poor by can rise to the top in America.
- Until recently there was a lot of d_____ ag______ people with handicaps.
- The view that people’s intelligence is linked to race is without foundation and simply a result of b_____ p_____.
- These days it is fashionable to talk about the s_____ s_____ that is required for a job.
- Some people get angry very quickly, which makes it difficult to have a ra_____ d_____ with them about any controversial topic.
- Sex is no longer a t_____ subject, at least in the west.