This exercise (at the bottom of the page) is a dictation based on Unit 1 (page 5) of the new Language Building eBook.
You can can buy and download it here – for the introductory price of £4.99 (until May 18 – then £9.99)
This book helps you build natural patterns (collocations) that you can use accurately and appropriately – and impress the reader / listener because most people never do this. It is not enough to simply understand the language – here you learn to use it.
To do this you need to keep looking at the language. Dictation can help in this process.
Why is dictation useful?
I explain my ideas in the audio below:
(1) It makes you focus on the language – the process of reading – listening – writing – checking – and then repeating if you make mistakes helps to be able to use the language (not just understand it).
(2) It helps you to notice the kind of mistakes you make – and correct them!
(3) It makes you comfortable with natural patterns (collocations).
(4) To tbe able to use the language you need to look at it repeatedly – dictation helps with this.
How to use the dictation:
(1) Look at the text carefully on page 3 of your book – make sure you understand everything.
(2) Try the dictation below.
(3) Check your answer carefully – and if you make mistakes you must repeat – this is the learning process.
(4) When you do it with no mistakes – congratulations!
Try the dictation now:
Names used: Dilma Rousseff / Jose Serra / Lula