When you answer a question – speaking or writing – it is best to move from general to particular. This is similar to topic sentence – expand – example.
You can practise this at home.
This is useful for all parts of the IELTS speaking test, but also to develop your ideas for writing.
Below I recorded myself answering a question. This is a natural answer – not read from a script.
What kind of book do you like?
Below are some phrases you could remember:
- That’s a difficult question for me to answer because..
- At the moment I really enjoy..
- A little while ago..
- For example, recently I’ve…
- What is really great about (him) is that…
- He learnt (Dutch) so that he could..
- At one point…
- He’s a heroic kind of person… I think it’s possible to get some inspiration..
- Though actually..
If you are going to use them you must select some and practise.
Instead of book: music / film / art.